Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Wondering Why


It's a wondering sort of day. I fear I may be easily distractable and waylaid as my thoughts zip around looking at seemingly unrelated topics.


Potatoes in a bag are not doing well. Why? One bag had fingernail sized tubers. The other actually had a plum sized one.

Why are there aphids and slugs and pill bugs?

One kitty leans to fat, the other to slim. Same food, same diet, similar habits. Pourquoi?

My tall tall husband has always been on the thin side with a super-fast metabolism. Me? I am built totally opposite and could easily store enough excess food for a famine on half of what he eats. Not that I would ever want to test that theory, but it seems not so fun that I have to work hard to burn calories and he can sit in a chair and burn more than I can.

The rhodies have leaves with brown edges. I read once why that happens. I guess I should read it again and do something about it.

Why did the yellow squash go crazy, this year - one out of six in which both were planted - instead of the zucchini?

Why do bees lose their stinger and die when they sting but yellow jackets do just fine and keep on stabbing their victim?


And no, my wonderings are not always so innocent and surface level. In my deepest self, I wonder about the tragedies and struggles of the people I know or the stories I read.



Why cancer, car wrecks, heart disease, Parkinsons, diabetes, stroke?

Why do young mothers die and leave families behind? Or fathers run off and ditch their wives, sons, and daughters?

Why am I blessed to have my son back from Iraq in one piece and other mothers just have memories of their soldiers?

How can people throw away their children or abandon babies?

Why do some die as babies and others live over a century?

How can people, even children, be sold for slaves of the most horrible type?

Why do people text and drive and wreck their cars? Or drink and drive? Surely they know the danger.

Why is there famine, war, hunger, bad water, disease?


Sometimes it hurts. My heart is crushed and weeps. I long to fix it what is broken. But that is not my job nor do I have the ability or power to do so.

Life is fleeting and none of us knows what trials we will face and how our end will come.

I am thankful. I don't understand many things, so all I can do is trust in Him. And pray. And hope.

We all face why's.

The best I can do is to reach out and grab hold of others to help and support and encourage. It is enough to go side-by-side, hand-in-hand, through the valleys and mountains. I must help however I can.

It is enough to trust.


I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. ~ John 16:33

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. ~ Psalm 34:18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!