Thursday, February 4, 2016

I Love Hand-Me-Downs


I'm not above totally enjoying digging through a bag of my sister's hand-me-downs to pull out new-to-me favorites.

(That would be a literal hand-me-down, as I am older but much shorter than she.)

I also thrill to the seek-and-find treasures I discover at local thrift shops. In fact, the sweater (Mr. Roger's style cardigan, come in the house-trade the coat for a sweater style) I wear all the time is my best ever purchase from Goodwill.

Seriously. I think my family may be a tad bit exhausted of seeing me wear the same old sweater. Every. Single. Day.

But it is the best sweater! I know I look more granny-like wearing it, but it is comfy, broken in, not too hot, not too cold, but just right.

I've had this sweater for over 5 years, conservative estimate. It appears to be well made and may last for another 15. Score! I think I paid $1.99, maybe $2.99.

My husband and I enjoy keeping clothes long past the expiration date (yes, we are THAT couple). One of our favorite games is counting back to find out who is wearing the oldest outfit.

"I've had this shirt since Chelsie was 3," I said.

"Well, I bought these sweats when we were in England," replies the hubby.

"But I had this dress for Easter when we were in Wapato," I counter.

And on and on goes the battle.

It is our game. And our life. We are not ones for top of the line, current fashion, get rid of the old and buy new all the time. Some of you may be saying, quietly in your heads, "YES, we know! Go get some new clothes!!!" Maybe you are even yelling that, hoping we will hear.

It's OK. We are happy with our little game. I think, at heart, we are children of the depression, though we are not really old enough. We use every little thing until it is beyond use. And then maybe we can still find a use for the scraps that remain.

I'm thinking that's being a good steward of natural resources and God's providence. Recyling, repurposing, reusing.

Besides, it's fun.


I'd love to hear where you find your favorite clothes. Are you a scavenger like me? Let's share tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!