Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Read to Me


"Nana, read this to me."

I was happy to read a stack of 10 books to my 4-year-old granddaughter. This only worked because baby brother was fast asleep. Sister loves books.

Today, sister had another task for Nana. After busily writing on paper, she handed me her story.

"Nana, read this to me."

You can imagine I was a bit challenged. So I asked her to read it to me.

Khloe: I can't read.

Me: What is it about?

Khloe: Uhm, Lava Girl and Shark Boy.

Me: Ok. Once upon a time . . . Lava Girl and Shark Boy went on a picnic. They went swimming. They had a fun time. The end.

Khloe: No, you're not done yet.

Me: They had a flat tire and had to fix it.

Khloe: No.

Me: What else?

Khloe: (whispering to me) They help other people!

Me: Oh! Lava Girl and Shark Boy helped some people who had a flat tire. They helped fix the tire. Then they enjoyed their picnic. The end.

Khloe: (smiles and nods) Ok.

That was only the first story. She had another waiting in the wings. Nana was on call as storyteller.

I am pleased that she loves stories, writing, reading, and words. Literacy begins long before they reach school.

What is your favorite story to read aloud? I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!