Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Thankful Heart

Thanksgiving is around the corner - actually around 2 corners...Today is Tuesday. Two more days, and the turkey will be in the oven (thawed, I hope), the squash will be cooked, the table set, the family coming...

Many, many things to be thankful for this year. The son is home from Iraq (his fiancee' and his family are extremely thankful for this); the daughter and son are dedicated to raising our delightful, hysterical grandson; we both have jobs; we have a warm home, clean clothes, and food in the pantry. Spending Thanksgiving NOT giving thanks would make me so uncomfortable, I would squirm and not enjoy a single second of the celebration.

Living in a free country, able to worship as I choose, go where I wish, work in my chosen career, purchase what I want, be who I dream... One could dub America as the 'Cornucopia' of the world; a horn of plenty!

How can I show my thanks? How can I give back? Certainly, when I am full of gratefulness, my heart overflows and desires to give back, to reach out to others and give them some of what I've been blessed with.

Thinking...thinking...thinking...not to jump holidays BEFORE we are out of this season of thankfulness, but as is told to Scrooge, (paraphrased) "Mankind is your business!"

Mankind. That's us. The humans. The heart and hands of thankfulness can reach out to touch and help mankind. There are certainly many that could use an extra hand or resources or a genuine smile.

Mankind. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!