Monday, November 29, 2010

What's Right in Front of Me

I am a person who tends to over analyze...almost everything. Just over the last two days, I have had the same thought presented to me, in totally different ways. Interesting, as it deals with taking care of today, not worrying about tomorrow or yesterday.

I love reading books. I'm rereading "DragonSpell" by Donita K. Paul. Sounds magical, but it really is similar in style to "The Chronicles of Narnia" and C.S. Lewis' writing technique. The main character, Kale, has recently discovered that she has a calling from Wulder (God) and is loved, in spite of her faults and ignorance, by Paladin (Jesus). Kale obsesses over how much she does not know about what she is supposed to do, what she should've or could've done prior to her current situation(s), has endless questions, and worries constantly about not being able to fulfill the task set before her...thinking always of her imperfections.

As Kale recovers from many harrowing adventures, she gets to visit 1 on 1 with Paladin. The entire scene is filled with the above issues. Paladin tells her (again, I believe) to only worry about right now, what is before her right now. Let Wulder work in the future and take care of all that stuff. Just take care of today and the immediate tasks required.

The next morning, upon reading my devotion in "The Daily Bread," the author (unrelated to Paul) has the gall to discuss the same subject! Instead of focusing on the past or uncertain, scary future, the author reminded me to think instead about what is right in my hand! Right in front of me? What circumstances do I have right now to take care of? Well, then, take care of those. Let God handle everything else.

Fine. I don't know who else will tell me the same thing. I thought I had been doing pretty well about staying 'in the present.' Guess I need to work a little harder at it!

To top it off, one verse from Matthew pretty much says the same thing:

"Therefore, do not be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Ok. Today. Get ready for bed. I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!