Thursday, June 19, 2014

Parsley Anyone? How About Homemade Tartar Sauce?

One ladybug, three earwigs, two baby green worms, several egg cases, a million aphid-looking things, mud, grass, weeds...


Details such as those listed above required triple washing and vigorous rinsing before I could pop the harvest from two parsley plants in the dehydrator. It was rough work - spoon at the ready to smash offenders (not the ladybug), continuously moving water, and icy hands - completing this early morning task.

But I won! A good dunk and swish (times three), a turn in the salad spinner, and the dehydrator was soon crammed full with pungent yet delectable parsley springs. A good mornings' work.


Have you ever noticed the slight cigarette smell to crushed parsley? I kept smelling a faint cigarette scent, like old smoke. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Thank You, Jesus, that it does not taste like old cigarette smoke! Parsley is delicious, especially in the tartar sauce I am making for dinner. Triple mmmmm.


Homemade Tartar Sauce
(I mix and match my ingredients until it looks like I want it. I adore onions, so there is quite a bit of diced onions in my tartar sauce).

1/2 jar of dill relish (cheating, I know, but much easier)
good handful-sized batch of fresh parsley, washed, dried, and chopped
1 small onion, diced
Saffola (or your preference of mayo)

Add relish, parsley, and onion to a bowl. Add enough mayo to make a creamy tartar sauce. Stir well. Let it steep for at least half an hour.

Serve. We love it with salmon.

Next on the list? Attacking the sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!