Friday, July 29, 2011

They're Not Really Really Free, But...


Dinner for tonight was mostly from our garden. Yummers. As I was talking to myself, which I make a daily habit, I noticed to myself that these "free" vegetables and fruit from my garden were actually not free. I had to purchase seeds, fertilizer, and soil (hopefully this year only), build raised beds, spend countless hours weeding and watering, and spend time picking, washing, and prepping...Nope. Not free at all.

Delicious? Yes! Beautiful? Yes.

Despite all the time, money, and energy I spent on my free vegetables, I know the One who freely made them grow so wonderfully. He lovingly sprouted the seeds and keeps them growing and producing. He has created them fresher and healthier than those purchased in stores. Few pests (so far - the insects can probably smell the richness and are quickly crawling, winging, or creeping closer), no added chemicals, no wax or preservatives added. Ahhh.

What the Creator of the universe can do! Amazing. Not for a second do I believe in a big bang that formed all of the intricate details evident in my garden, not to mention every puzzle piece of life that fits just so. I love seeing evidence of His imagination and creativity, available every day, everywhere, free for the looking.

A recipe of tasty summer...

Sweet Summer Salad
(The more that comes from outside the back door, the better!)

Fresh lettuce (I like the mixed seeds for at least 4 types of greens)
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
Strawberries, thinly sliced
Small radishes, left whole
2 basil leaves per person, thinly sliced
Red onion, thinly sliced or diced
Yellow pear or round tomatoes
Grated Parmesan cheese, fresh not powdered
Black pepper, fresh ground
Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)

1. Tear lettuce leaves into bite sized pieces. Divide between plates (number of plates depends on how many salads you need).

2. Divide the rest of the vegetables and fruit between all the plates. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and black pepper.

3. Lightly sprinkle each salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Serve immediately.

4. Enjoy!

Balsamic vinaigrette:
Add 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar to 1/4 c. olive oil in a glass jar or salad dressing bottle. Add about 2 tsp. oregano and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper. Shake well. Ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!