Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Picture Blocks - A Gift for Dad (or Anyone Else)


Check out this easy and super adorable picture block craft. It is so cute I am making one for my son (his first father's day) and my son-in-law. My kindergartners made them, with a little help, to give to their fathers at our Donuts with Dad. But they could easily be made for any occasion.


1. Cut 4x4 posts into 4-5 inch length pieces. Use sandpaper and smooth the edges. Kinders loved this step.


2. Make chalk paint by adding Plaster of Paris to your favorite paint. I used to worry about following a recipe, but now I just add until it has the consistency I want. Stir until smooth.


3. Paint wood block and let dry. I like to use 2 coats of paint. It is fun to use sandpaper along the edges to rough up and age the painted wood block.


4. Use four pictures for the sides. Trim to fit. Make sure there is at least 1/4 inch of space around all sides of the photos. Paint each side of block with Modge Podge or any decoupage glue. Stick on photo and cover with another layer of decoupage glue. Let dry. Add another coat if needed.


5. Use the same decoupage glue method to add a bottom label (with a personal message) and a top label. I like using pieces of scrapping paper. Cover all edges with decoupage glue. Dry. I put pieces on wax paper or up on pieces of straws for best drying. Don't stick wet blocks down on anything.


6. Give as a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!