Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Rustic Blueberry Galette

Oh, Papa, you are busted!

Last week, the neighbor was out of town and invited us to pick blueberries from his laden bushes. Joy! I took the two grands who were with me for the day over and we picked a full colander. I had plans to make a rustic blueberry pie, based on a photo and recipe I found in Relish, a newspaper insert which is always full of yummy recipes and enticing photos.

We made it! The grands helped pick, wash, mix, and dump ingredients onto the crooked-edged crust. We baked it, and oh, it smelled fantastic.

And then it was time to go home. Hayden, mastermind of chocolate, was enthralled with the pie and couldn't wait to taste it. But daddy came to pick them up first.

Fast forward a week (the pie had long been gone, mostly into Papa's tummy). I again had the two older grands at my house. As we went to the counter, Hayden spied the recipe still stuck in a clip to the side of the fridge.


"Nana," he accused, "did papa eat all that pie?"

Oh. BUSTED. "Yes, honey, he did."

"Aw. We wanted to eat some!" replied a crestfallen young boy.

I think we will need to make another rustic blueberry pie. Especially for a certain boy who loves to help Nana bake and eat. None for Papa.

Oh, and the pie really was not for blueberries, which is what I thought the entire time I read it, baked it, and ate it. One day, I realized the words said (and the picture showed) blackberry.

I loved it as blueberry.


Rustic Blueberry Galette (totally adjusted as follows, which is the only way I cook)

1 whole wheat pie crust (I simply followed a pie crust recipe but switched out half the flour for whole wheat)
5 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar, plus a little for sprinkling on the top
3 T. cornstarch
3 T. orange marmalade (recipe calls for berry jam, but all I had was marmalade)

Gently mix all ingredients until blueberries are covered. Roll pie crust out, leaving edges uneven. Fold into pie pan. Do not trim off extra. Pour blueberry mix into pie dish. Gently fold crust over top, leaving middle exposed. Wash crust with a dab of water and sprinkle on sugar.

Bake at 375 about 45-50 minutes, until berries are bubbling and crust is golden. Cool and serve. I think ice cream would be a wonderful addition, but certainly this galette stands on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!