Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Bees Have It


Bees are fascinating.

B's, as in the insect, not the letter.

After the movie that came out a few years back about bees and ecology and the importance of their diligent work, I have attempted to plant and grow more bee-friendly plants. I want to supply bees with a pesticide free garden, water, and plenty of yummy flowers.


So far, so good.

After our neighbor moved, taking his hive with him, I noticed a dramatic decrease in the number of bees visiting my flowers (which include fruit and vegetable blooms). I was concerned to count a total of three bees the next day following the moved hive.

But slowly the numbers and varieties have increased. Have you noticed how many different types of bees there are? Black, yellow, striped, tiny, fat, long and skinny, short and wide, huge, fuzzy, and plain. It's fascinating to watch them work.

Right now, what's hot in the bee kingdom?


Squash. Flowers. Tomatoes.

Raspberries.

Beans.

Lavender.

Parsley.

And sunflowers. Lots of sunflowers.

Short of having my own hive, I think I am doing a pretty good job of hiring bees as my tiny little personal gardeners.

Hip, hip, hooray, bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!