Monday, April 25, 2016

The Plank - 10 Steps to Success

My idea of a perfectly-formed plank.
By Angie Quantrell

No. Not that kind. The exercise kind. Planks are hard to do.

I don't like them.

Does anyone really like them? This is what it looks like when I try to do a plank.

1. Gear up. Avoid doing planks following a recent meal.

2. Collapse to floor level.

3. Set timer. Otherwise, I will be positive that 15 seconds is a full complete minute.

4. Start timer.

5. Assume position. Elbows and forearms on floor. Toes on floor. Nothing else on floor.

6. Tighten stomach, back, and buttock muscles.

7. Immediately begin to breathe harder. At 5 seconds in, notice trembling limbs.

8. Sweat.

9. Fight the feeling of giving up or falling on my face.

10. At 30 seconds, convince self to keep going. Or pause for a rest (I like that one better).

1 minute? DONE.

What a workout!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences these physical manifestations of pain when doing a plank. I mean really, shouldn't a 53 year-old be able to handle this?

True, I haven't even done a sit-up since, well, I don't know when. Maybe shortly after my last baby was born. She's 25. Years-old. Wanna know an embarassing fact? When I started this new build-core-strength-workout-program I could NOT do one sit-up. Not one, folks.

But I digress.

Planks are not fun, easy, or pleasant. But I have to admit to a certain joy in knowing that I can hang in there and do a minute. On most days.

Care to join me? On to sit-ups.

What is your most hated, feared, or dreaded exercise? Let's commiserate.

Planks AND flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!