Sunday, March 18, 2012

Frozen Tomatoes



Yes, it does work, Martha.

As in Martha Stewart.

Last fall, according to my bursting with green tomatoes garden, I needed a way to save the crops when weather was turning to freeze. As suggested by Martha, I gathered in the bundles of hard green balls, sat them in a bowl, and waited.

As each orb changed from green to red, I cut out the stem end and any blemishes, placed each on a cookie sheet, and put the whole thing into the freezer.

Voila! Twenty four hours later, frozen weapons! I mean, frozen produce, ready for winter soups and tummy warming meals.

And they work great! After freezing, I filled gallon zip bags with all that fit. When it came time to cook meals, I just dropped several in the pot. Mmmmm.

The only problem is that they tend to be a bit more mushy than fresh tomatoes. Which is fine in soups and stews and casseroles. And I have to pick out the skins once they thaw out and boil in the pot. But other than those minor complaints, this is one happy tomato eater.

This summer, bring on the 'maters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!