Wednesday, April 4, 2012
There's a surprise waiting for kindergarten when spring break is over. Rainbow rice!
The cool design only lasts about 2.7 milliseconds until the hands swirl the colors. But then rainbow rice is lots-o-fun to play with from then on.
Here's what I did:
1. Purchase a 20-25# bag of white rice.
2. Divide out 2 c. each of rice into 6 zip bags.
3. Working in shifts, I did two colors a night and let them dry until the next evening, six colors in all.
4. Ingredients and equipment: liquid food colors, rubbing alcohol, large bowl, spatula, cookie sheets covered with paper towels
~ Pour about 4-5 T. alcohol into the bowl. Add many drops of chosen color (one color at a time).
~ Dump one bag of rice in the mix and stir well, coating all the rice with the dye.
~ Spread on the paper toweled cookie sheet and let dry overnight.
REPEAT for each rainbow color ~ purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red
5. Dump remainder of white rice in sensory tub. Carefully pour each bag of colored rice into a rainbow shape.