Friday, January 16, 2015
Bacon & Potato Cheesy Soup Recipe
Made this for dinner tonight - very rich and delicious. I will definitely keep these ingredients in mind for the next cold, winter's eve.
Bacon & Potato Cheesy Soup
1 lb. bacon
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 carrots, diced
3 red potatoes, washed and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces (skin on)
2 medium brown potatoes, washed and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces (skin on)
2 cups broccoli florets
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
1. Cut bacon in half. Cook each half separately in Dutch oven. After first batch is out draining, discard bacon grease. Add remaining bacon and cook. Discard all but 3 T. bacon grease. Chop bacon into small pieces.
2. Add onions, celery, and carrots to bacon grease. Saute until onions are starting to turn translucent.
3. Add potatoes, broth, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, and 2 T. chopped parsley. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn down heat, and simmer until potatoes are fork soft, about 20 minutes.
4. Add broccoli. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes until broccoli is done.
5. Add 1/4 cup chopped bacon and 1/2 & 1/2. Stir well and heat until steaming.
6. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sprinkles of cheese, parsley, and bacon bits.
Bacon & Potato Cheesy Soup before 1/2 & 1/2, cheese, bacon, and fresh parsley