Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall - Reflections of Self


Mirror, mirror, on the wall,
Who's the fairest of them all?


We all know that the evil Stepmother in Snow White uttered those words as she contemplated her own beauty. Dare I say that her self-absorption plus basic evil were two of the causes for her downfall?

I'm not going to suggest, "Don't look in mirrors." This is not that kind of post.


Early today, I read a devotional that mentioned that we humans look into the mirror 8-10 times a day or 60-70 times a day counting electronic mirrors on phones and such. That is quite a bit of self-gazing. Enough for anyone. I know I look that many times just to see which way the hair is sticking up.

Thoughts about mirrors continued as I self-reflected. (Pun intended.)

I really don't like to look at myself in the mirror. Especially when clothes are not present. Eek! Things are headed south that should just stay where they are and winter white gets a new definition. All of me, scars, wrinkles, and sags are hanging out in plain sight. Let's just not go there!

And then the Holy Spirit nudged me deeper. I realized that I don't like God to look at me in my nothings. I don't mind so much when I have my 'spiritual' clothes on, the ones that make me look presentable. But when He starts asking to see the real me, the naked self, He will have a clear view of all of my shortcomings, failures, and downright sins. The not-so-pretty stuff. Wrinkles, bags, dimples, and scars of past choices will be on display. Disobedience, unkindness, selfishness, gossip - the list is really quite long of opportunities for icky things He would see. Should I allow Him into my very deepest self, He will see me for what I truly am.

Sinful.

Imperfect.

I cringe at the thought.

But the truth is, He sees it all anyway. It's like the little children who think they can hide from God in the bedroom closet and then He won't be able to see the naughty things they've done.

I can hide it all (like with Spanx) but the reality is still there. I'm not a size 2 with perfectly toned, well, anything. I'm not an admirable person who reacts and lives in perfection. Called to holiness, yes, but no way possible can that happen without the Holy Spirit.

I need to get real. And get naked. I'm talking about my heart. He knows every little piece of me already, so let's just open wide the doors and invite Him in, mess and all.

Only then can He deal with the gunk and create a new reflection. Of Him.

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children (Ephesians 5:1).

Rephrased, be reflections of God . . .


Angie Quantrell wants to be honestly transparent to Him and lovingly reflective of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!