Monday, February 2, 2015

Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie - Recipe


Shepherds pie was sounding good, so I checked a few online recipes. After finding none that were exactly what I wanted, I made up my own. Which is my usual method of attacking a meal, but I thought I would at least try to use someone's recipe!

This recipe is delish. Tasty, spicy (as most of my dishes are), and filling. The more veggies, the better. A personal goal is to sneak in - or blatantly add - as many vegetables as possible. It works!

Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Bake sweet potatoes until soft. I did this early in the day so that they were ready when I was preparing the meal. I like to wrap mine in foil, put them on a parchment paper covered pan, and cook them for at least an hour.

3. Prepare sweet potato topping. Whip following ingredients together. Set aside.

2 sweet potatoes
1/2 block of cream cheese
1 T. butter
black pepper (to taste)


4.
Cook following ingredients in a pan until meat is completely done, stirring often and breaking up meat.

1 lb. ground turkey meat
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, chopped in pieces
olive oil


5. To the turkey mix, add:

1 10 3/4 oz. can of cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of water
3 kale leaves, de-ribbed and chopped
1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 T. Mrs. Dash
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2-1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 T. home dried crushed sage leaves (or 1 tsp. commercially prepared sage)
4 T. worcestershire sauce


Cook until bubbling.

6. Put turkey mixture in casserole dish. Dollop sweet potato mix on top and spread to cover.

7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until heated through and bubbling hot.

8. Serve with rustic bread.


Next time, I will add chopped carrots to the turkey mix and garlic cloves to the sweet potato topping and cook the whole thing in a Dutch oven.


Angie Quantrell creates, cooks, and blogs at her home in the Northwest. Her imagination is enhanced by spicy flavors, healthy meals, and oodles of vegetables. A hungry husband tips the scales towards complete satisfaction in new recipes. The lack of leftovers says, "A job well done."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!