Monday, December 15, 2014

12 Days of Christmas - A Stocking Game


Years ago, my college roommate and long time friend suggested that we celebrate the 12 days of Christmas by giving each other a tiny gift on each of the 12 days of Christmas before Christmas break.

It was the birth of a perfect Christmas holiday tradition. That tradition is still in effect in my family, particularly with my husband and I. The 12 Days of Christmas, in our home, has evolved over time, but basically remains the same.

Beginning yesterday, my honey and I put one wrapped gift (figuratively) in our stockings. We will do this each day until Christmas Day. Yesterday was 12 days from Christmas. Shoppers? Beware. Only 10 more shopping days!

Back to the story. By Christmas morning, we will have 12 stocking gifts. Figuratively because, instead of daily opening each gift as my roommate and I once did, we hold all gifts in a hidden spot until Christmas morn. And we don't open them until after we have our traditional turkey quiche with spicy salsa and freshly brewed coffee.

As an added twist, this year we set the price limit of $5 for each item. It must be at or below the stated cost. This not only lowers our Christmas budget, it adds a challenge to our traditional Christmas stocking game.

Homemade is fine. Sale and clearance is fine. Free is even better. As long as the cost is below a fiver, the challenge has been met.

Let me tell you, it has been a challenge. Not much is to be had for less than five bucks. If you are in the know, please help me out so I can be in the know. And get those 12 Days of Christmas covered.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!