Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Sweet Potato (Yam) & Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Meatloaf is on the menu for dinner. Though ours is always made with ground turkey and a variety of vegetables, it is delicious.
And nothing goes better with meatloaf than mashed potatoes.
As usual, I fail to follow recipes. Instead, I adjust ingredients to reflect our tastes and what is available in the pantry. My most recent adventure in making mashed potatoes resulted in what appeared to be a dessert of orange and vanilla background, but were in fact, creamy, tasty, and much savored. I love when that happens.
Yam & Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
4 red skinned potatoes (not the baby ones), washed, skin on
1 large garnet yam (red flesh), washed and peeled
4 garlic cloves
1 box reduced fat cream cheese
fresh ground black pepper
1. Chop potatoes into same-size chunks. Add peeled garlic cloves. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes and garlic.
3. Add 2-3 T. butter and cream cheese. Mash potatoes, adding milk as you go, until you reach desired consistency.
4. Season with black pepper.
5. Serve piping hot! These taste wonderful with many different kinds of meat.