Monday, December 8, 2014

Dry Toasted Muesli Recipe (Adored in this Home)


Meet our favorite breakfast of champions. It is very good for you. And who doesn't need a healthy breakfast in the midst of our Season of Desserts and Special Treats?

I discovered a version of this recipe years ago in some magazine, but have tweaked and tested it until it rests at the top of our breakfast list. Ages back, when on a mission trip in Germany, I was introduced to eating muesli (similar to this recipe) with a scoop of plain yogurt, a spoon of raspberry jam, and a splotch of milk. So delicious. I just can't make myself go back to boxed cereal. I've tried many of the commercially produced granolas and mueslis, but they all have more sugar than I like. What to do? Make up my own recipe.

Enjoy.

Dry Roasted Muesli Recipe

Ingredients:

8 cups plain oatmeal (I prefer the Costco type, as it has more whole oats and less powdery stuff)
2 cups walnut halves (Costco)
1 cup dried blueberries (Trader Joe's or Costco; add more if you really like dried blueberries)
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (Trader Joe's)
1 T. cinnamon

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350. Roast ingredients in individual batches due to size.
~ Spread oatmeal on jelly roll pan. Toast about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Once you can smell the toasted oats, they are done. Dump in a big mixing bowl.


~ Spread walnuts on jelly roll pan. Toast about 10-15 minutes, stirring and watching carefully. I go by smell on this as well. Once that yummy smell hits my nose, take them out. Cool and chop into smaller pieces. Add to oats.


~ Spread pumpkin seeds on jelly roll pan. Watch very carefully! Toast about 5-8 minutes. They burn quickly (guess how I know that), so watch and remove at once. I have to go by sight on these. Add to oat mixture.


2. Add blueberries and cinnamon to oat mixture. Mix well. Let cool.


3. Store in airtight container. I love my gallon jars for muesli, as the muesli is so pretty.

4. Serve with yogurt, jam, and milk.

5. Bon appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!