Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A Month of Thanks - November 5 - My Parents


How was your childhood?

We were not rich. Our house was crowded. The six of us lived in a single-wide mobile home. Animals often roamed the house (including the occasional goat, chicken, mouse, hamster, cats, dogs, rats - mostly intentional pets. The horse was even caught peeking her head through the backdoor). The mobile home was indeed mobile. We moved four times with that trailer. Mom made our lunches most of the time. She sewed our clothes and made many Christmas gifts. Dad worked full-time and spent many hours gone. Weekends were filled with church, home projects, wood-hunting, food gathering, and exploration. I don't remember many leftovers, as we probably ate all of the food all of the time. The few leftovers, like grits, mashed potatoes, and cornbread, were recycled into the next meal. Mom tried to convert us to love southern style cooking, but all that really stuck were the grits and eggs, biscuits and gravy, and beans and cornbread.

I had a great childhood. I had parents that loved me and my siblings. They worked hard to provide for us. They sacrificed and got extremely inventive to give us a wonderful childhood.

Spankings? Yes. When needed. Groundings? Yes, but not as popular as now. Chores? You bet. Our own bedrooms? No. Sisters in one room, brothers in the other.

Spoiled? No. Deprived? No way. Loved? Absolutely.

Today, on November 5, I am extremely thankful for my parents.

They are still alive. They are still wonderful. They are still my parents. The Lord has blessed me with wonderful parents.


And guess what? God gave me wonderful parents-in-law, too!

Am I blessed or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog!